Our members Margarete Grimus and Worlali Senyo have joined up with Gameli Adzaho and Charles Amega-Selorm in Ghana to provide an In-service training for teachers in digital media skills for teaching and learning in public schools in Ghana. The one-month course will already begin in two weeks and will take place at Keta Senior High Technical School. Margarete Grimus, who has extensive knowledge in teaching and adult education in ICT will hold the course and meet with several people on the spot to explore possibilities for further projects in this sector.
The main objective of this pilot project is to equip 15 teachers in public schools with skills in internet research and presentation to support their teaching and learning and ultimately extend it across public schools in Ghana.
I think it’s good timing for our project to start now as Ghana has expressed their intentions to use ICT in education a while ago already and confirmed so lately. We hope that the pilot picks up and want to enable the 15 participants to pass on their knowledge to their colleagues – literally teaching the teachers.
Specifically, the project will:
- train teachers how to use computers for the learning in classroom for teaching, lesson notes preparation, and for general research
- provide teachers with skills to use the internet as a resource to improve their teaching (e.g. how to access it, integrating it in class teaching to improve learning, internet literacy and internet safety)
- guide teachers to identify good practice for Maths and Science teaching (in Junior and Senior High schools)
- acquire presentation skills as a way to enhance their lesson delivery to improve learning outcomes in the classroom
- introduce basic skills in research and statistics for evaluation of class/school-projects and scientific writing [from the project proposal]
To hear Gameli Adzaho talk in more detail about the project, check out this link to Coders4Africa Podcast.
We’ll keep you posted on the project and upload news and pictures here as soon as it has started.
New project: In-service training for teachers in digital media skills in public schools in Ghana
was published on 08.08.2012 by Florian Sturm. It files under global
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.